Monday, July 24, 2006

Bali, Hi!

We just got back from Bali the other day. It was my third trip to Bali and I continue to have a love-hate relationship with the island. It is probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The beach, the mountains, the rice terraces, it's all great. The one thing I can't stand about Bali is the fact that everyone is trying to sell me something all the time! It is impossible to just lie on the beach and relax. The touts are either sitting right next to you, holding a sarong in front of your face and demanding a dollar, or in nice resorts, they stand at a distance and wait for you to cross that invisible line which allows them to come and get you. It's hard for them, I understand. Especially for an economy that is almost completely dependent on tourism, and with the two terrorist bombings, the people are suffering. But still, I have to draw the line when they ask for US$25 for a henna tattoo... I guess I will need a few more trips to decide where I stand with Bali.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home